One had to know that this was inevitable, the end of a stellar career due to a chance encounter with blood clots. Not one, not two, but three bouts in a span of two and a half years. Did Chris Bosh deserve this? No one does but the fact remains that at their core, athletes are still nothing but mere mortals. The Miami Heat organization knew, some fans knew but the man himself refused to accept what was made public this week. All of the hard work to return to the court was scrapped by a simple failed physical, one that the Heat realized was a possibility all along but it didn’t make the news any less shocking once it became official.
MIAMI, September 23 – The Miami HEAT and Chris Bosh, in consultation with team doctors and other physicians, have been working together for many months with the mutual goal of having Chris return to the court as soon as possible. Chris has now taken his pre-season physical. The Miami HEAT regret that it remains unable to clear Chris to return to basketball activities, and there is no timetable for his return.
We are not able to comment further in light of Article XXII, Section 3(e) of the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, which precludes a team from releasing certain medical information without a player’s consent.
Not the end that he’d hoped for. One failed physical in the NBA equates to twenty-nine because the procedures are the same across the board. Unless there is a miraculous recovery, Bosh’s career is indeed over.
Should he give up his pursuit of a return? Not at all. Does it have to be with the Miami Heat? Of course not, if both parties agree to a buyout (which will see Bosh retain the majority of the over $75 million left on his max deal) Bosh would be free to sign with any team of his choosing provided that he eventually passes a physical. The Heat could then recoup the monetary value lost via an insurance claim and would be able to sign a player to a max contract during the summer of 2017. It would be a win/win for both parties.
While speaking during the Heat’s media day Pat Riley stated that Bosh’s “Heat career is probably over” and that the team is not working towards his return.
“There is not a next step for us,” Riley said. “It’s pretty definitive for us in our position.”
There’s no doubt that the diligence had been done by the Miami Heat and even Riley himself had to address the false narrative of mistrust between the organization and Bosh.
“If there was a level of mistrust, I don’t know what he’s talking about,” Riley said. “Contrary to how this thing has been perpetuated in the media, we have worked very, very hard with Chris. I don’t know where that came from. We were there the whole time when he was in the hospital in 2015…..We headed down the road very excited to a point where we thought it would work…….And then the physical couldn’t clear him to the next step”
This Too Shall Pass
Being one of the most successful franchises in the history of the NBA is a hard chore. Losing “The Big Three”, the core that led you to 4 consecutive trips to the NBA Finals is harder. The Heat has endured such hardship and now look forward to growing its young core of Justise Winslow, Josh Richardson and Hassan Whiteside.
Chris Bosh shall endure as well as his battle with blood clots will unfortunately continue. With no end to the battle in sight, as Pat Riley stated, Bosh’s Heat career is likely over but there still can be promise, a continued fight, and maybe, just maybe a story of redemption that will once again see Bosh step foot back onto the court that he loves so dearly.
“I understand what he’s trying to do. It’s a heroic effort. We have to sit down and have a conversation,” Riley said. “Any time Chris is willing to have a conversation, I’m more than welcomed. I e-mailed him the other day to have a meeting. I have not heard back. The door is wide open.”